The Personal Sun Monitoring Device and Mobile App - UV Monitoring Technology Designed to Help Protect Against Sun Related Risks
Eclipse Rx® was inspired and developed by Dr. Brian Matthys, DO, Board-Certified Dermatologist, Founder and Chief Medical Officer of Sunflower Dermatology and Medical Day Spa.
As a young boy growing up in Nebraska, Dr. Matthys experienced a near drowning experience one winter when he slipped through the ice on a frozen pond. This scare spurred him to become a skilled swimmer, lifeguard and water safety expert later in his teens.
As a lifeguard Brian spent much of his time in the sun. He became very familiar with the risks of sunburn caused by over exposure to the sun’s UVA and UVB rays. As a result, Brian developed his own creative ways to “avoid the burn”. Fast forward to today and you will find Dr. Matthys on a mission to help people protect their skin.
With 20-plus years in practice, Dr. Matthys has seen way too many cases of skin cancer.
In 2013, with the increasing availability of innovative technology and micro UV sensing devices, Dr. Matthys began exploring ways to develop a wearable technology to help individuals be more aware of the amount of sun they are exposed to throughout the day. The result, Eclipse Rx, the first wearable sun monitoring device that is ironically powered by the sun!
The Eclipse Rx device is water resistant with a sleek high tech unisex design. The device tracks and logs how many steps you take daily and pairs/syncs with its own innovative mobile app.
“Being gently reminded of over exposure to the sun can encourage change in behavior and positive change leads to improved health and happiness.”
- Founder Dr. Brian Matthys, DO
Features of the Eclipse Rx mobile app include:
• Friendly dashboard to enter your own personal sun profile details (your skin type, what type of sunscreen SPF you use)
• Syncs with Eclipse Rx device and continuously monitors your sun exposure
• Displays real time UV index reporting
• Alerts you when it’s time to reapply sunscreen or move out of the sun
• Personal data collection organized in a user-friendly interface that can be easily shared you’re your dermatologist/physician
• Syncs with Apple Health!